Whatever your skin type, specific factors might trigger or lead to oversensitivity: Your skin reacts strongly when you’d rather it didn’t…
Various types of « Skin flaws »
-Some are congenital, even called birth marks. They can be light, depigmented, “café au lait”, or red (angiomas).
-Others are acquired dermatosis::
-White spots or vitiligo (depigmentation of patches of skin). Benign but unsightly, more visible on dark skin.
-Brown spots result from overexposure to the sun. They are more common during pregnancy, thus the term “mask of pregnancy” but can also occur on non-pregnant women and sometimes even on men.
-Certain facial dermatosis (couperosis, rosacea…) can improve with a specific treatment even if they don’t totally subside.
-Acne is so common that it needs to be discussed separately. Some acne pimples can leave residual marks, specially if they are very large, deep or were “fiddled with” repeatedly.
-Dermatological procedures or plastic surgery on the face can be followed by a tough period while healing is not complete. These temporary flaws also deserve all of our attention.
-Last, certain severe skin disorders (ichytiosis, severe burns…) require corrective make-up.
“High tolerance” products: With high tolerance cleansers and moisturisers, irritations that can occur in case of intolerance or allergies to a cosmetic ingredient can be minimised.
Dermatological make-up: For either a temporary situation (post dermatological) or permanent flaws, using good corrective make-up techniques can offer amazing results.
- Dermatological disorders such as benign growths, vitiligo, eczema, psoriasis, broken capillaries, rosacea, acne and acne scars, seborrheic dermatitis, melasma;
- Post-dermatological procedures such as laser, dermabrasion, filler injections, peeling;
- Following cosmetic surgery: Facelift, blepharoplasty, rhinoplasty…
The following basics are used to correct skin flaws:
- Overlaying two complementary colors from the chromatic wheel neutralises skin flaws.
. Green neutralises red ( couperosis , scars, angiomas…).
. Yellow neutralises purple (bluish circles, varicose veins…).
. Brown “hides” white.
- Light make-up highlights and dark make-up has a hollowing effect.
- By using these contrasts, the shape of a face can be changed, scars or dips can be reduced and discolouration can be covered.
- White evens out slightly and catches the light.
Five steps for a natural make-up:
Cleanse the skin thoroughly,
2. Apply a makeup base selected for skin type and sensitivity level,
3. Hide flaws using color correctors (green or yellow depending on the color of the flaw),
4. Even out complexion with a fluid or compact foundation,
5. Set makeup with powders.
How to lighten birthmarks ?
There are different types of birthmarks. You will need to check with a specialist regarding lightening your birthmarks. He will provide all the necessary information, conduct medical tests if necessary and you will know which treatments are available. Corrective make-up offers a very satisfactory solution to conceal birthmarks.
How to lighten scars?
It depends on the scar.
-If the scar is atrophic (depressed): Start by evening it out with a foundation cream, then use a concealer stick.
-If the scar is raised: Start by evening out skin tone, top with a touch of foundation cream that is thicker and darker (darker layers seem to reduce the volume).
How to select the best shade of foundation for my skin tone?
Since the color of the skin on the hands is often similar to the color of the skin on the face, you can use the area located at the base of the thumb (palm of the hand-back of the hand area). Apply the foundation to the lighter area. The shade that is closer to the dark area is the right one. If you prefer a lighter or a darker shade, select accordingly.
Recommendations for corrective make-up?
. Cleanse your skin thoroughly.
- Apply a make-up base suitable to your skin sensitivity.
- Neutralize flaws using the Concealer stick.
- Even out complexion using a Fluid foundation or a Compact foundation cream
- Correct localized flaws with a Concealer pen
- Set make-up with the Mosaic powder
- Highlight your face with the Mosaic powder used as eye make-up, the Eyebrow corrector pencil to highlight your eyes and the Duo lip and lip contour to brighten your smile.